Friday, March 4, 2011

Inspiration

These are some of the photo's and photographers I liked from the artists we were shown in class.

Christine Collins
I really like the way she captures the light in her photographs, I think it gives the image an interesting emotional quality. I also really like the use of reflections in her work whether it is just light reflecting of glass or other images reflecting off the surfaces of what she is photographing.





Lorie Novak
I really liked her series of images with the hands holding the book (shown below). I really like the lighting and strong colours in these photographs. I also like the composition of the photographs and how the different images are combined to create a meaningful photograph. 

 




















Jeffrey A Wolin
I like the way he includes type into his photographs. The way the words go around the people in his images is interesting as it makes them standout from their surroundings. 


 
 

Duane Michals
I really like his style of photography. I find the more I look at his work the more I notice. I really like the composition of images in the first photograph shown below. I think the inclusion of words in the series of images below strengthens the photograph and its visual narrative.
I also like the way he photographs people in their houses. The way the people slightly transparent ands an interesting aspect to his photographs, it's like they are only there for a moment but the stuff in the room is more permanent and will still be there when they have gone.
Here are some quotes I found that explain how he approaches his work:


"With me, it’s all been about thinking. I don’t walk around with a camera waiting for something to take a picture of. I never did. Essentially, I’ve always been introspective, and it’s always been there, the notion that the mind is the source of everything. I’m an anomaly in photography because I don’t believe in the eyes!
“There’s never been a Eureka! moment. It’s been a constant evolution and I see no end to it.”


This is an interesting article I found on Michals:





No comments:

Post a Comment