Sunday, March 27, 2011

Photoshop Tutorial

As the technique for my final series uses the different blending modes a lot, especially with all the different layers in my photos, I have found using the different modes create quite different final images. I have been looking around try to get a better idea of what the blending modes actually do to my images so I can have a better understanding of what I'm doing.  

While editing my final series I found this video tutorial very helpful as he explains quite clearly and specifically what the different blending modes do when looking at light and contrast. I found he explained what the blending modes are doing to the black and white areas of the image quite well, helping me decide what blending modes will be most effective for my final series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik6MAbzlQ40

I also found another website (http://land8lounge.com/profiles/blogs/february-photoshop-tutorial) which explained the categories the blending modes are divided into in photoshop, which was also quite helpful.

 
Normal (default setting, no blending)
Dissolve

These blend modes deal with Darkening
Darken
Multiply (*mode of choice for eliminating white backgrounds)
Color Burn
Linear Burn


These blend modes deal with Lightening
Lighten
Screen
Color Dodge
Linear Dodge

These blend modes deal with Light and Contrast
Overlay
Soft Light
Hard Light
Vivid Light
Linear Light
Pin Light
Hard Mix


These blend modes deal are Comparative, inverting the base color
Difference
Exclusion


These blend modes deal with Color
Hue
Saturation
Color
Luminosity

No comments:

Post a Comment